Wednesday, September 29, 2010

FiLoLi Gardens

FiLoLi
"Fight for a just cause; Love your fellow man; Live a good life."

Filoi is a grand estate located about 25 miles south of San Francisco in Woodside, California.  It is a lovely home set in 16 acres of formal gardens surrounded by a 
654 acre estate on the eastern slope of the Santa Cruz Mountains.

We were fortunate to attend a retirement party there this last weekend at the home
of Lucy Tolmach (Director of Horticulture) on the grounds of FiLoLi.



FILOLI GARDENS MANSION
 If this looks familiar perhaps you were a fan of the TV series "Dynasty."  Filoli was in the opening scenes each week at the start of this show.



FILOLI Gardens reflecting pool
 We toured the gardens at sunset after dinner.  It was breathtaking.


Filoli Reflecting Pool
  Reflecting pool and former carriage house 


hydrangea at Filoli Gardens
  The hydrangeas were enormous

















Lucy
Lucy Tolmach (Director of Horticulture) 
was our hostess and  gave us the evening tour.



















The retirement cake was yummy.  It was made by Jim Salyards who works
at FiLoLi.  It was one of the most delicious cakes I have ever had.
It was layers of genois, dacquoise, marzipan, raspberry  jam, fresh
raspberries and homemade crème fraiche.  I can't wait to try making one of these!


If you're ever in San Francisco it really would be worth the trip to Woodside to visit FiLoLi.  You can tour the house or garden or both.  Let me know if you visit.  I'd love 
to see your photos and hear about your experience there.

xox

Nancy

6 comments:

  1. Hi, What beautiful photos of your visit to this beautiful place. The gardens, fountains, beautiful flowers and their grand entrance are worth your visit to this beautiful place. The dessert looks so delicious as you described! Blessings Rose Marie

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a beautiful place to visit! The dessert looks so good....Kathy

    ReplyDelete
  3. How beautiful...I have been to San Fransisco, but we didn't get to visit this...must put it on our list for someday!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a fabulous place - and that cake........gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  5. OH, how I enjoyed this post!

    Filoli Gardens is one of my favorite places on earth! I loved seeing your gorgeous photos. I haven't visited there since the spring. My friend is a member and I try to go at least once a year.


    Thanks for sharing this magical place and a gardener's paradise.

    Cori
    Starview Sonnet

    ReplyDelete
  6. HI Nancy,
    Wow, you've been all over the place! Well, I just looked on Fabric.com this morning and they have med and heavy weight linen for $8.98-$11.98/yard. I think I'm going to get some. I just look all around for mine. Hancock when it's on sale or with my perfered customer 40% coupon.
    I think Fabric.com has a 20% off coupon right now too. Go check it out!
    Kelly

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails